Mount Batur Sunrise Trekking
Mount Batur is situated in the Bangli region on the island of Bali, Indonesia. For many years tourists have been hiking up Mount Batur (a volcano in Bali) to watch the sunrise over nearby volcanoes Mount Agung and Mount Agang, and it’s not hard to see why! If you can manage to wake up early for the drive to the mountain, you will be treated to an adventurous hike in the dark with an amazing sunrise awaiting you at the summit. In this article we will share 6 things you need to know before you hike Mount Batur, including what to bring and how to prepare.
- How hard is the hike? For most that will be the most important question that needs answering. If you are normally active and have a decent level of cardio, you shouldn’t find the hike to be too difficult. You will read that it’s easy and you can practically run up it! Well, that’s not entirely true. The hike is two hours (for most, quicker if you need fewer breaks) and remember you are summiting a volcano which is 1,717 meters, or 5,633 feet, above sea level.
- What to wear? The temperature and climate will be different from one night to the next and also changes throughout the hike. We would recommend wearing comfortable leggings or shorts, something you would typically wear to work out. By far the most important thing to wear is proper trainers or hiking shoes! Bring a sweater or hoodie for the cooler moments in the hike, probably at the beginning and at the summit. Throughout the hike itself you will probably remove these outer layers. I also suggest bringing a waterproof jacket, especially if you are hiking in the wet season or near to it as you may get rained on!
- What to bring? Carry a small rucksack and bring along your waterproof gear, extra water and some snacks. We also highly recommend buying a headlamp beforehand. You are given a flashlight by your guide, but having a small $10 headlamp made the hike much easier, especially towards the end to have your hands free when climbing up the rocky path.
- Camera equipment – Bringing cameras is essential! Sunrise at the peak of Mount Batur is truly stunning so make sure to bring along your cameras, Gopros, phones or whatever your preference is for photography. Unless you are a professional we would suggest leaving the tripod at home. Whilst you could get an awesome time lapse shot, it’s quite busy at the peak and carrying it up the mountain would be a pain.If you really want a tripod, we would recommend a smaller flexible tripod and not a large one. But we urge you to put down the cameras and enjoy the moment as the sun rises after snapping a few shots!
- Who to hike with? You can booked your hike with your Ubud accommodation of which you are staying with. You can book the tour upon arrival. This includes everything, including pickup and drop off from hotel, local guide up the mountain, water, flashlights, simple breakfast at the top, and lunch at a nearby restaurant after the hike (inclusions may vary for each hotel).
- Schedule – The time you get picked up will depend on where you are staying on the island. You will be picked up around 2.15am (from Ubud) and other locations further south will be earlier. The driver will pick you up at your chosen location and the drive will take around 1.5 hours (from Ubud). Upon arrival, your guide will meet you in the car park and it’s time to get started.
The Mount Batur Sunrise Hike will definitely be one of your favorite experiences in Bali, and we highly recommend you do the trek on your next vacation to the Indonesian island! We hope this article helps you to plan your own visit to Mount Batur.